European Health Insurance Card

51 Upper Mount Street                                                    Spokesperson:                                

Dublin 2                                                                                 Cllr. Paddy McCartan

Ireland                                                                                   Pembroke – South Dock Electoral Area


Tuesday, July 29th 2014


McCartan urges Holidaymakers to travel with a European Health Insurance Card
Fine Gael Councillor Paddy McCartan is encouraging holidaymakers to make sure their European Health Insurance Card is up to date before travelling abroad.

“The European Health Insurance Card, formerly known to people as Form E111 entitles you to necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU / EEA member state or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay in that country. The Card does not cover the cost of treatment in a private setting,” Paddy explained.

“While it is not the equivalent of private health or travel insurance, the card is intended to ensure that EU citizens can receive emergency treatment while travelling in any other EU country. Public healthcare systems vary from country to country, and few countries pay the full cost of healthcare for holders of the Card. You should also take out private insurance for your trip, but the European Health Insurance Card will make it easier for you to avail of emergency healthcare in a foreign country,” Councillor McCartan continued.

“You can now apply for or renew your European Health Insurance Card online.  Log on to for more information on obtaining your card.”